[NIFL-ESL:10126] Re: Overcoming Attitude Difficulties

From: Barb Linek (eslmax@voyager.net)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 11:27:05 EST

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:27:05 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Barb Linek" <eslmax@voyager.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10126] Re: Overcoming Attitude Difficulties

Tell them how valuable English is in the job market.  I know people who
left good jobs in Mexico and came here because they could not advance
without learning English.  One was a hotel manager, the other a
paralegal.  In Korea, parents are paying English tutors high wages for
teaching their preschoolers and school-age children English.  English
is money!

> I work with students ranging in age from Kindergarten through high
school.
> I find my middle school and high school students, who know they will
be in
> America for only a year or two, to be very negative about their ESL
class.
> Getting them motivated to learn is difficult, if not impossible,
because
> they have the attitude that they are only going to be here a short
time, so
> what's the point?  Any suggestions?

Barb Linek
Adult Education Coordinator