[NIFL-ESL:9923] Re: Community Involvement

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 12:26:46 EST

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:26:46 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9923] Re: Community Involvement

Not necessarily. Learning a language can be part of a way out of the
situation. However, it's difficult for people to learn when they are worried
about how to feed, clothe, or house their children (or themselves). What we
find is that we have to address social service needs at the same time as we
work with people in the classroom, and sometimes make allowances for live
changes. We have a family right now that dropped out because severe domestic
violence created a level of chaos that made it impossible for them to get to
class regularly. I'm keeping a spot open for them to return if they can,
because I believe they need the program more than others. It's a delicate
balance -- you need to serve the people who can benefit from your program,
but at the same time you need to create a program that will meet as many
needs as possible for the population you serve. There's no one-size-fits-all
approach.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Manager Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA