[NIFL-ESL:9896] Need Help Reaching Newcomer Spanish-speaking Population

From: julia_kearney@harcourt.com
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 15:15:32 EST

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:15:32 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: julia_kearney@harcourt.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9896] Need Help Reaching Newcomer Spanish-speaking Population

I am contacting you for help reaching the Spanish-speaking population,
specifically children who have been in the United States for a short period
of time.  We have three projects in the works that need both examiners and
examinees.  Even if you do not serve this population, it would be helpful
if you would forward this to colleagues who do.

Briefly, here's what we are looking for:

   School Districts to help with the standardization of Aprenda, a Spanish
   achievement test.  Ages required are grades kindergarten through 12th
   grade.  This is a group administered test, and pay depends upon the
   number of usable test events.  Qualifying candidates for the project may
   have lived in the US only 3 or 4 years, depending upon their age.

   Bilingual Psychologists or Educational Diagnosticians to assist with the
   standardization of Wechsler Intelligence Scales for Children en Espanol.
   This is the first time our product has been developed in Spanish.
   Qualifying students for this project are ages 6 to 16 who have lived in
   the United States fewer than 5 years.  We especially need help reaching
   Cuban, Puerto Rican and Dominican children.

   Bilingual Speech-Language Pathologists, Educational Diagnosticians or
   Psychologists with experience giving language tests to assist with the
   standardization of Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals Fourth
   Edition in Spanish.  This project will involve Spanish speakers ages
   5-21.

Please feel free to share this with bilingual and or ESL colleagues who may
be interested in joining these projects.  I'd be glad to send additional,
more detailed information and enrollment materials.

Julia Kearney
Sampling Special Projects Coordinator
Harcourt Assessment Inc.
800-233-5686 x 5204