[NIFL-ESL:9834] Re: Community Involvement

From: Laurie Ketzenberg (lketzenberg@resolutionpictures.com)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 15:57:08 EST

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:57:08 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Laurie Ketzenberg <lketzenberg@resolutionpictures.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9834] Re: Community Involvement

In the Service Learning course I teach, instructors coordinate with program
directors and set up orientation sessions so students don't have the
daunting task of finding their own sites.  Many of the suggested sites
posted in this thread are very viable.  Adults will likely want to make a
clear connection between their community service and their language
proficiency which is what distinguishes Service Learning from Volunteering.
Thus, built into this type of program must be time for reflection on
students' learning as community members.  Fortunately, there is a lot out
there on Service Learning and there are infinite ways to facilitate this
type of pedagogy; there is room for learners from all types of backgrounds
to participate in a variety of ways and get a lot out of their experience.

Laurie Ketzenberg