[Assessment 2017] Re: Creating Summary Documents

Katrina Hinson

khinson at almanid.com
Wed Jul 15 13:55:32 EDT 2009

I'm quite aware of the concepts of andragogy as I engage in practice every time I walk into a face to face classroom as a teacher or as I set up a dialogue through virtual environments with my students. Understanding the need to engage those around us on their ground is important but the idea is that you engage and such an engagement implies communication of some kind - be it verbal, visual or otherwise. It's perhaps the difference between active learning and passive learning - learning occurs in both environments but in one the student is much more invested in what he or she is part of.

Your response brings up an interesting point however in terms of providing 'options' for list participants and 'diverse' ways of gathering the data contained in the discussions. And that might be something worth looking at - looking at how we (or the list admins) etc...whatever the 'we' is defined as - can make the knowledge and resources through these discussions more accessible so that the breadth of the discourse itself does not become a barrier to participants.

My research as a doctoral student has to do with various types of discourse in which people engage - much like the discourse of this discussion. I do understand that some people don't want to wade through emails. I have a friend who refuses to read anything more than a paragraph when it comes to email - she doesn't have the patience for it at all. What works for her is a bulleted list of summary points. Others, like way more. There are going to be extremes on both ends and I get that. My question in my post however has to do more with what it means to be 'engaged' or to 'value' and whether or not those two things can be adequately done if one is just passively learning ( lurking) or does it at that point become more of an investment with long term returns which I can see as quite plausible. It's about recognizing the differences and considering how the individual needs can be best addressed for the most benefit to each person here.

Regards,
Katrina Hinson

>>> "Maryanne Donovan" <maryann5 at frontiernet.net> 07/15/09 2:42 PM >>>

Just a few comments in response. Relative to teaching adult students, I believe in and use the concepts of andragogy -- meeting the students on their turf, within reason, of course. It is my job as teacher to engage them as individuals, in other words, find out what makes each student tick and press that button. For some students that is in class discussion, for others it is participating in a threaded discussion on BlackBoard. The crux of it is, everyone deals with life, stress and knowledge uniquely, and as educators, I believe it is our job to recognize and address those needs. A good definition for andragogy exists here: http://www.nald.ca/adultlearningcourse/glossary.htm

If we take this concept and translate it to the list, we are all unique and will engage on our own terms, whatever that might be. One of the issues for some (me) is the length of posts. I teach business communications and the guidelines for professional communication are no more than three short paragraphs in an email, anything longer either dealt with in an attachment or redirected to a "pull" board instead of the current "push" format being used here.