[Assessment 2001] Re: Variations on lurking

Marie Cora

marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Tue Jul 14 10:25:04 EDT 2009

Hi Bonnie, Jackie and everyone,

I'm not sure I fully would agree that it's impossible to lurk in
different situations and still not get the same thing out of the event.
I completely agree that the ideal is in fact to 'close the circle of
learning' by getting feedback in some form from the user; being an
assessment and evaluation person, it sort of makes me crazy that the
online discussion list is the most difficult venue to receive this type
of feedback. But in fact, this is the reality of this learning forum
and I have become more comfortable with this piece being unknown. And
of course right at the moment, I'm beyond thrilled because that feedback
is being received.

I think that different learning styles and habits can play a big part in
what a person gets out of a situation. I hardly spoke twice during my
graduate seminar on Don Quixote de la Mancha (in Spanish), but it didn't
stop me from devouring the book and contemplating the interpretations of
others in the class. I just was not confident with my own
interpretations, and then in Spanish to boot. Not only did I come to
know a great piece of writing, but I greatly improved my Spanish by
listening to (mostly) native speakers. I also know that one of my
strongest learning styles is listening.

One of the really great things about this venue though, is that the
options for 'doing something' with the material are pretty infinite - as
opposed to what might be expected of a student in a face-to-face class
or an online course. And this is also where the rubber hits the road:
there ARE expectations when you attend a particular class or online
course and so it's much easier to gauge results. But we have just read
a number of the ways that subscribers use the material that's presented
here, and I'm sure there are more ways as well. So this fact makes this
learning environment much richer in ways than other types of forums, but
at the same time, closing that circle of learning is thus more elusive.

And now: enough from me!! What do others think?

marie