[Assessment 1876] Re: [EnglishLanguage 4199] Re: Question about assessment

Michael A. Gyori

mgyori at mauilanguage.com
Thu May 14 17:11:53 EDT 2009

I am cross-posting my reply to Dorothy as it stems from an original posting of mine to the Adult English Language Learners, Assessment , and Learning Disabilities Discussion Lists

Hi Dorothy,

Thank you kindly for your reply and yes, it really is different to experience the world without internet access. To think it was only 15 years ago that Netscape brought the WWW to the public!

I have received very little feedback (thank you for being a respondent!) to my search for an assessment tool or tools to replace the AMES I am currently using. Years ago the CBO I was working at used CTB McGraw-Hill’s CTBS and then its successor, the TerraNova CTBS original edition for its incoming Pre-GED and GED students – mostly youth, but also a few adults. The current version is the 3rd edition (http://www.ctb.com/products/product_summary.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474395292939 <http://www.ctb.com/products/product_summary.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474395292939&bmUID=1242319838825> &bmUID=1242319838825).

I’ve decided to experiment with the CTBS for my adult ESL students with academic goals or who need a GED (for example to meet the minimum qualifications of career areas such as hairdressing or cosmetology). The lowest level of the test is level 11 designed for 1st graders. I will then correlate their scores with the ones they obtain on other tests I already have or hope to get samples of for professional evaluation purposes.

What I like about the CTBS in principle is that it (theoretically, at least) taps into students’ background knowledge in reading, language, math, science, and social studies, precisely the subject areas of the GED test. I believe the (formal) educational backgrounds (“common underlying proficiency” levels) of my students to be of considerable value in informing and predicting their success in the course of their continued studies, including ESL. Although the test is designed for K-12, I hope to get a sense of its appropriateness for use with an adult population.

I will share whatever I may learn with several of the NIFL discussion lists.

Thanks again, Dorothy, for being so accommodating!

Michael