[Assessment 1781] Re: How well do you read?

Andrew Pleasant

andrew.pleasant at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 18:32:05 EST 2009

A slightly nuanced way to express one of your possibilities I'd think, off
hand ...

People's lives are shaped by their personal and familial networks' literacy
so that only rarely do they encounter instances that challenge their skills.
Literacy is thus both an outcome and a determinant.

So these assessments, and those designing similar in the future, need to put
the responses of participants in the context of what the literacy loads in
participants' lives actually are in order to provide an honest expression of
the data, no?

This is always an issue with self-reporting in any context, so maybe we
should refrain from asking why people have this problem in their responses
and ask why the methodology of the assessment didn't account for it?

fwiw,

Andrew