[Assessment 1654] Re: Assessment Digest, Vol 41, Issue 13

Cynthia Zafft

cynthia_zafft at worlded.org
Wed Feb 4 10:59:17 EST 2009

Hi Charlene:

My favorite way to learn is face-to-face in a classroom, but that's
me... Right now I teach a reading/writing/study skills course online
for nurses' aids getting ready for college. And these students have to
go through another "narrow door" called the TEAS test (don't get me
started).

It has been a big surprise. Many of the students have computers
expertise and many don't. Some of the students (including those with
the least experience online) clearly see the advantage of being able to
go over information again and again, send their questions to me via
email...without asking in front of an entire class. This has been
particularly true for students in the math course. Some students prefer
a hybrid, so we have face-to-face orientation and are working on study
groups/tutors at their nursing facility. Others will try developmental
education because they are looking for a classroom experience, with a
better awareness of what college requires. We'll see how it turns out.

As many people have mentioned, it's the match we all are looking for,
including matching both the ability to access the learning environment
and learning supports...online or face-to-face or both!

Cynthia

>>> Charlene Salazar <csalazar at delmar.edu> 2/4/2009 9:46 AM >>>

All -

The Del Mar College GED Program does not offer on-line classes. In my
opinion, the majority of GED students are not disciplined enough to
carry
out an on-line class and the fact that many of them do not own or have

access to computers is another obstacle. There is no better instruction

than sitting in class and be able to communicate with your teacher face
face. I believe once students get into college and have a more
structured
academic plan an on-line course may be something they can commit to and

handle.

Charlene Salazar