[Assessment 1600] Re: Transition models

Donna Chambers

Donnaedp at cox.net
Tue Feb 3 15:21:18 EST 2009

David,

Funny you should ask. Here in RI we are in the planning stages of designing an integrated model for TTC and External Diploma Program (EDP). Participants will be earning a high school diploma along the pathway to preparing for college through our Pawtucket TTC program. These two programs have been working along side each other, but exclusively We require the learner to complete the EDP before participating in TTC. In an effort to be more efficient in preparing the learners for academic college readiness, we will integrate the academic part of the TTC with the demonstration of skills needed to earn the high school diploma. The academic secondary reading, writing, math, and metacognitive skills need to be demonstrated (competency-based assessment) for EDP will prepare the participants to be college ready. Since EDP uses all the components of competency-based assessment, learners are more motivated to learn what is needed to learn and see immediate results of the learning. (As an aside, let me say, this approach works particularly well with ELL since it is not a timed test and the learning is scaffolded) They will have earned a high school diploma and completed TTC at the same time.

Since this pilot will combine both programs we already know we need to be creative in determining how much actual time is required to be in class, and at the same time we do not want to cut corners for either program. Many of our participants' schedules do not allow them to spend more than about eight hours in class and for some this is even too much. It is expected that most participants will need to remediate their basic academic skills. With all this in mind, we know it will require a blending of online self-study with face-to-face class instruction and assessment time.

This is still in the planning stages, but since we have already been working with the processes of these two programs, I am very optimistic about the results. I believe we will end up with an effective model combining high school completion and transtions to college.

Donna Chambers
RI EDP Coordinator