[Assessment 2030] Discussion: Growing Learners' Skills Through Virtual Literacy

Jackie A. Taylor

jackie at jataylor.net
Wed Jul 29 10:58:35 EDT 2009

Dear Colleagues,

You are invited to join the Professional Development List for Part II of
a three-part conversation on Building Adult Education Technology
Capacity. Discussion of Part II, Growing Learners' Skills Through
Virtual Literacy, begins this Monday, August 3rd. Please join us and
share the announcement below with your networks.

Thanks, Jackie Taylor, Professional Development List Facilitator,
jackie at jataylor.net

Growing Learners' Skills Through Virtual Literacy

Part II of a 3-Part Technology and Professional Development Discussion
on
Building Adult Education Technology Capacity

http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/discussions/professionaldevelopment/09onlinepa
rtII.html

When: August 3 - 7, 2009

Where: Professional Development List

Guest Facilitator: Nell Eckersley, Literacy Assistance Center, New York
City

To participate, subscribe (free!)

(You can unsubscribe at this link when the discussion ends.)

What is Virtual Literacy? Can technology help students gain literacy
skills? What are the issues and challenges in doing so? In June 2009,
the Technology and Literacy List discussed the report, Investigating the
Language and Literacy Skills Required for Independent Online Learning
<http://abe.nifl.gov/publications/pdf/NIFLOnlineLearningReport.pdf>
with guest facilitator Heidi Silver-Pacuilla. In follow up to the
discussion, Nell Eckersley, moderator of the Technology and Literacy
List, will join the Professional Development List to lead a discussion
of Virtual Literacy and the implications of Virtual Literacy for
teaching and learning. The discussion will then resume in September 2009
for a discussion on how professional development can help teachers gain
comfort and competence with these technology tools.

Guest:

Nell Eckersley is the ASISTS Program Operations Coordinator at the
Literacy Assistance Center, New York City, and Moderator of the
Technology and Literacy Discussion List.

Both through my former work as an ESOL Instructor and Program Director
and in my current work at the Literacy Assistance Center (
http://www.lacnyc.org/), training Adult Literacy staff in New York State
to use technology for accountability and classroom activities, I have
become very interested I how social media tools can be used in the
classroom. Creating meaningful activities and helping instructors feel
more comfortable with these tools are two of the challenges that are of
particular interest to me.

nelle at lacnyc.org

http://twitter.com/LACNYCnell

Objectives:

Participants will explore questions, like:

* What is "Virtual Literacy"?
* Does this mean that learners do not need to learn literacy
skills?
* What are examples of Virtual Literacy in action?
* What are technologies that adult learners can use to learn
online?
* What are the implications of Virtual Literacy for teaching and
learning?

Discussion Resources:

Iowa Virtual Literacy Initiative, Drake University

http://www.drake.edu/soe/projects/Iowa_Virtual_Literacy_Initiative.php

Virtual Literacy to Succeed video

http://www.educ.drake.edu/webfiles/ivls.mov

Investigating the Language and Literacy Skills Required for Independent
Online Learning

http://abe.nifl.gov/publications/pdf/NIFLOnlineLearningReport.pdf

Technology and Literacy List Discussion Summary, Part I: Online Learning
and the Adult User: New Findings and Applications

http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/OnlineLearningAdultUserNewFinding
sApps