[Assessment 1612] Re: Reply to Questions 1 and 2

Forrest Chisman

forrest at crosslink.net
Tue Feb 3 16:37:28 EST 2009

I think you're both right. Let's face it, GED math isn't college math. More
importantly, most ESL programs have no systematic way of factoring math at
any high level into their curricula - and that's 45% of all AE students. The
GED problem can and should be easily as Tom suggests, and it's amazing that
it hasn't been. That's the easy part. The ESL problem requires a complete
rethinking of ESL program structure to create pathways to college tracks
that include math along with college level English skills. Remember, that
most colleges in most states don't require a GED for admission. But they do
require a high enough level of math to pass the Compass or AccuPlacer.
Hence, especially for ESL students, the GED may be optional, but teaching
high levels of math to those who are college bound isn't. I consider this a
major problem for the ESL field.

Forrest