[Assessment 1581] Transition models

David J. Rosen

DJRosen at theworld.com
Tue Feb 3 10:43:46 EST 2009

Assessment Colleagues,

I have some questions for the guest experts and for others who work in transition from adult secondary (GED/ADP/EDP) to post-secondary education:

1) what is the range of models of current transition programs? Are they all separate transition classes? Are some ASE/GED classes that are beefed up with transition content? Does anyone use a blend of online instruction and face-to--face mentoring (for example 2- 3 hours/week of one-on-one or small group mentoring accomianied by 6-10 hours a week of online transition self-study)? Does anyone use a pure distance learning transition model? Are there other models?

2) Given the thin resources available to support separate transition classes, how can adult secondary education programs add an affordable transition component? What strategies are you thinking of?

3) I have been thinking about a design for a blended transition model -- face-to-face mentoring in combination with a highly-structured online transitions curriculum. How does that idea strike you? Does it already exist someplace? Is anyone using it now? How is it working?

Thanks.

David J. Rosen
djrosen at theworld.com