[Assessment 1988] Participation Inequality

Jackie A. Taylor

jackie at jataylor.net
Fri Jul 10 12:25:54 EDT 2009

Hi Phyllis, and all,

Phyllis, you wrote:

"I'm going to guess that there is a huge audience with a tiny percentage
that actually post. I don't think the percentages are necessarily
representative of interest!"

I thought you'd like to see this report from Jacob Nielsen on
"Participation Inequality: Encouraging More Users to Contribute":

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/participation_inequality.html

contribute, 9% of users contribute a little, and 1% of users account for
almost all the action."

He goes on to discuss the downsides of participation inequality and
strategies online facilitators could use (given that the community has
access to the tools) to make participation easier and more equal.

I'd be interested in others' reactions to this report and how some of it
may, well, pertain to us!

Best...Jackie

Jackie Taylor, PD List Facilitator, jackie at jataylor.net