[Assessment 1983] WE LEARN - Call for Proposals & Summer Activities

Marie Cora

marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Wed Jun 24 13:48:00 EDT 2009

Colleagues,

The following opportunity may interest some of you.

Marie Cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator

<http://e2ma.net/oz/2141208803/1953438/30194/spacer.gif>
<http://e2ma.net/oz/2141208803/1953438/30194/spacer.gif>
If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may
<http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=30194.2141208803/rid=b268a68
b4d0518d1f0db18bcb187e7c8> see it online.

<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Forward/ID=30194.2141208803/rid=b268a68b4d0518
d1f0db18bcb187e7c8/send_to_friend> Forward this message to a friend

<http://e2ma.net/go/2141208803/1953438/72371052/30194/goto:http:/www.lit
women.org/welearn.html>

<http://e2ma.net/userdata/30194/images/e1245851442.gif>
Reflections Wanted
What did you use this past academic year that was useful?

Your responses help to build information sharing among members as well
as inform WE LEARN about materials to research and add to our Resource
List.

Quick Survey...
<http://e2ma.net/go/2141208803/1953438/72371043/30194/goto:https:/app.e2
ma.net/app2/survey/30194/10459/6f9932d9ff/>
_____

<http://e2ma.net/userdata/30194/images/e1245852039.gif>
Newsletter Articles Wanted
Our Fall Newsletter will focus on our members. If you are a member of WE
LEARN and want to write a brief article about your work or have
something to share, please
<mailto:welearn at litwomen.org?subject=Fall%20Newsletter%20Article> send
your writing by September 10, 2009.
_____

Updated WE LEARN Vision & Values Statement

<http://e2ma.net/go/2141208803/1953438/72371042/30194/goto:http:/www.lit
women.org/vision.html> Now Available

<http://e2ma.net/go/2141208803/1953438/72371049/30194/goto:http:/www.lit
women.org/membership.html>

<http://e2ma.net/go/2141208803/1953438/72371048/30194/goto:https:/secure
.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=21802>
_____

Summer Reading Suggestions!
The Complete Persepolis, Marjane Satrapi, Pantheon Books, 2004.This
graphic novel tells the memoir of Satrapi's childhood and coming of age
during the 1979 Iranian Revolution and its aftermath.

Grandmothers Counsel the World: Women Elders Offer Their Vision for Our
Planet, Carol Schaefer, Trumpeter Books, 2006. This book presents the
insights and guidance of thirteen indigenous grandmothers from five
continents, many of whom are living legends among their own peoples.

The Latehomecomer: A Hmong Family Memoir, Kao Kalia Yang, Coffee House
Press, 2008. Yang recounts the harrowing story of her family's captivity
in Laos, and their immigration to America.

Word Warriors: 35 Women Leaders in the Spoken Word Revolution, edited by
Alix Olson & Eve Ensler, Seal Press, 2007. Female spoken word artists
have become the spokeswomen for a new generation. These are women who
verbally challenge society on all fronts.

Call for Proposals

Our Stories, OurSelves:
The EmBODYment of Women's Learning
Mev Miller, Ed.D. & Kathleen P. King, Ed.D., Editors

How do women's bodies matter in adult literacy and basic education? Our
Volume 1 (
<http://e2ma.net/go/2141208803/1953438/72371041/30194/goto:http:/www.lit
women.org/publications/empower/> Empowering Women through Literacy:
Views from Experience) focused on empowering women in the classroom and
primarily addressed intellectual and personal barriers to and growth for
women's literacy learning.

However, we are aware of the many ways in which women's bodies and whole
selves are integral to the womanhood we celebrate, yet are ignored, or
even silenced, in traditional adult ABE, ESOL, and literacy classes.
Even when we do recognize or talk about women's bodies, these
discussions generally focus on sexual violence, childcare/parenting, or
health. Educators and students seek expression as embodied women, but
find these realities difficult to include in current programs and
classes.

The editors seek to gather writings about the many dimensions of
womanhood, specifically related to em-body-ment, as they are experienced
in literacy and basic/developmental educational settings. We encourage a
variety of genres including stories, creative writing, poetry, articles,
drawings, and research.

<http://e2ma.net/go/2141208803/1953438/72371040/30194/goto:http:/www.lit
women.org/publications/embody/> More details

Proposal Deadline:
September 30, 2009

_____

Summer is a time for relaxing...
AND for doing things you
usually don't have time to do....

Have you wanted to get more involved with WE LEARN?
Now is the time....
Friend-Raising
Membership Committee forming....
Are you a people person who likes to make new connections? Or match
people to others and/or to meaningful activities? Or advocate for an
women's literacy issues by involving others? Then, we want your energy
and creativity! Please join the membership committee....

In order to make WE LEARN a stronger and more interactive community, we
are developing a membership committee (a friend-raising network) to
better welcome and support the involvement of our members. We encourage
members to participate as little or as much as you can.

Contact Mev
<mailto:welearn at litowmen.org?subject=Join%20Membership%20Committee>
Miller or Stacie
<mailto:sevans at lmcmc.com?subject=Join%20WE%20LEARN%20Membership%20Commit
tee> Evans

WE LEARN is a community promoting women's literacy as a tool that
fosters empowerment and equity for women. WE LEARN involves a network of
members creating an organization to suit our needs for women's literacy.

_____

Want to make a more short-term commitment???

These committees could also use volunteers:
* 2010 Conference Planning Committee
* 2010 Women's Perspectives Selection Committee
Students and/or Student-Teacher-Mentor Teams are strongly encouraged to
participate in all WE LEARN activities & committees.

Contact Mev
<mailto:welearn at litowmen.org?subject=Join%20Membership%20Committee>
Miller

<http://e2ma.net/go/2141208803/1953438/72371051/30194/goto:http:/www.lit
women.org/conference.html>
Save the date
7th Annual WE LEARN (Net)Working Gathering on Women
<http://e2ma.net/go/2141208803/1953438/72371039/30194/goto:http:/www.lit
women.org/conference.html> & Literacy
March 4-6, 2010
University of Rhode Island, Providence Campus
Providence, RI
_____

<http://e2ma.net/userdata/30194/images/e1245853704.gif>
Update the WE LEARN Website!
We plan to radically revise our website and launch a "new look" for
International Literacy Day by September 8, 2009.

Expertise Needed
We need experienced volunteer designers who can help us with CSS
styles, interactive pages, search engines & updatable calendars,
graphics, etc.

Enthusiasm needed too!
Don't have tech expertise but want to help with content for the website?
We also need volunteers who can check links, research new resources,
write brief reviews, etc.
_____

More Summer Reading Suggestions - WE LEARN Publications

<http://e2ma.net/go/2141208803/1953438/72371046/30194/goto:http:/www.lit
women.org/publications/empower/index.html>

<http://e2ma.net/go/2141208803/1953438/72371038/30194/goto:http:/www.lit
women.org/publications/empower/index.html> Empowering Women Through
Literacy:
Views from Experience
Mev Miller & Kathleen P. King, editors

<http://e2ma.net/go/2141208803/1953438/72371045/30194/goto:http:/www.lit
women.org/perspectives.html>

<http://e2ma.net/go/2141208803/1953438/72371037/30194/goto:http:/www.lit
women.org/perspectives.html> Women's Perspectives #4:
Transition / Transformation
A Journal of Writing by Adult Learners

<http://e2ma.net/go/2141208803/1953438/72371044/30194/goto:http:/www.goo
dsearch.com/?charityid=816157>

We Learn 182 Riverside Ave. | Cranston, RI 02910 US

This email was sent to marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com. To ensure that
you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Manage/signupId=51133/id=30194.2141208803/rid=
b268a68b4d0518d1f0db18bcb187e7c8> manage your preferences |
<http://e2ma.net/map/view=OptOut/ID=30194.2141208803/rid=b268a68b4d0518d
1f0db18bcb187e7c8/signupId=51133> opt out using TrueRemoveT
Got this as a forward?
<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Join/signupId=51133/mailingId=1953438/acctId=3
0194> Sign up to receive our future emails.
Network for Good
<http://www.myemma.com/userdata/20050/branding/images/nfg_emma_logo.gif>

<http://e2ma.net/go/2141208803/1953438/72372843/30194/goto:http:/www.mye
mma.com> EmailNow powered by Emma