[Assessment 1968] Re: GED and HS Scores

Michael A. Gyori

mgyori at mauilanguage.com
Tue Jun 2 13:13:00 EDT 2009

Hello Stephanie,

Even if the Colorado statistics (what year are they from?) are in the
ballpark, it still means that 40% (a very high number) of high school
graduates might or would not be able to pass the GED test. Unless I'm
missing something, a GED certificate reveals more about baseline skills than
does graduation from HS.

I still remain interested in how the 5,000 HS graduates were selected for
GED norming purposes, and whether they represent an "acceptable" sample of
all HS graduates nationwide. Further, do the statistics accommodate for the
fact that one can get a score of 410 on any given part of the test provided
the total score is at least 2,250? And, if so, I'd be interested in what a
breakdown across the GED test subjects would look like when compared with HS
graduates.

Thank you for all the information so far,

Michael