[Assessment 1910] Re: Basic Reading Skills Discussion Begins Today!

Stephanie Moran

stephanie at durangoaec.org
Wed May 27 10:52:28 EDT 2009

Reading aloud can help build new neural pathways, Ted, as part of the larger brain development for low-level readers who need help in all the areas. The Lindamood-Bell multi-sensory program has an important strand called Visualizing and Verbalizing, and we know that students who can verbalize about what they are reading retain information better, so learning to read aloud can be quite useful.

It’s also a helpful technique when reading works by Shakespeare and other challenging poetry and literature. The ear can hear what the eye sometimes cannot process quite as well.