[Assessment 1875] Re: NRS Educational Functioning Levels

Melinda Hefner

mhefner at cccti.edu
Wed May 13 19:16:31 EDT 2009

Thank you to everyone who responded. It is truly a wonderful thing to be able to present questions and share information with colleagues throughout the country.

Melinda

Melinda M. Hefner
Director, Literacy Support Services

Basic Skills Department
Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute
2855 Hickory Blvd.
Hudson, North Carolina 28638
Office: 828.726.2245
FAX: 828.726.2266

>>> On 5/11/2009 at 7:02 PM, in message <4A086853.176C.0067.0 at ksbor.org>, "Dianne Glass" <dglass at ksbor.org> wrote:

Melinda and others,
It is my understanding that the NRS Educational Functioning Levels
may NOT be revised for NRS reporting purposes.

Since many AEFLA-funded programs do not have the capacity to
offer four levels of classes for ABE learners, two levels of classes for
ASE learners, and six levels of classes for ESL learners, programs
may decide to combine students at different NRS levels in order to maximize
services. For example, a program may offer only two levels of ABE classes
(i.e., Beginning Adult Education and Pre-GED). The Beginning Adult
Education class may include both Beginning ABE Literacy (NRS lowest
ABE level) learners and Beginning Basic Education (NRS second lowest
ABE level) learners, depending on how the program has determined to best
serve lower level learners. However, while these learners may be served
in a class that combines two or even three NRS levels for instructional
purposes, the learners' pretest scores and the NRS level definitions
determine how they are leveled for NRS reporting purposes.

Dianne Glass
Director of Adult Education
Kansas Board of Regents
1000 SW Jackson, Suite 520
Topeka, KS 66612-1368
785.296.7159
dgalss at ksbor.org

> "Melinda Hefner" <mmhefner at charter.net> 5/10/2009 6:43 PM >>>

I'm curious if any states have added to or otherwise modified the NRS
Educational Functioning Levels for NRS reporting purposes. I'm such a
literalist that the 12 levels listed in the NRS Implementation Guidelines
are, in my humble opinion, the only ones that should be considered for NRS
reporting purposes. While other levels and leveling certainly can be
helpful for instructional purposes, the 12 levels for accountability
purposes seem to me to be sufficient. Any thoughts or comments?

Melinda

Dianne S. Glass
Director of Adult Education
Kansas Board of Regents