[Assessment 1863] Re: [EnglishLanguage 4210] Re: CTBMcGraw-Hill's Terra Nova (clarificiation)

Michael A. Gyori

mgyori at mauilanguage.com
Fri May 8 17:31:40 EDT 2009

I am also posting this to the Adult Learners English Language List due to
the aptness of the interaction below.

Hello Rhonda,

The question where students can go when you can't meet their needs is an
excellent one, and also an unfortunate one since you need to ask it! If
your students truly have nowhere to go (due to alternative site locations
and/or cost) then I would say it's time to revisit the scope of services one
provides. I'd assume that as long as there is no perception that services
are being duplicated, program expansion might be conductive to grant monies,
no?

I am curious: what goals other than G.E.D. test preparation do your ESL
students have? What measures do you administer to your GED-bound students
who test out of BEST PLUS (other than GED practice tests)? Could you charge
for tuition for "non-core" AE classes as they do in Hawaii to cover costs
(provided you have a requisite number of students)? Finally, is ESL for
learners with indeterminate goals not considered a core AE subject that
could take them up to advanced levels of English proficiency if you offered
the needed continuum of instruction?

Thanks,

Michael