[Assessment 1823] Re: FW: Data to support Reading placement in dev ed?

Marie Cora

marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Fri Mar 27 14:30:15 EDT 2009

Hi Tina and everyone,

How are you?

I'm not sure if this policy brief would interest you:

Challenges in Assessing for Post-Secondary Readiness
http://www.caalusa.org/content/assessmentmellard.pdf
Policy Brief
by Daryl F. Mellard and Gretchen Anderson
Division of Adult Studies, Center for Research on Learning, University
of Kansas
December 4, 2007
This Policy Brief examines the major assessments in use today to measure
adult learning gains and determine student placements - e.g., BEST,
CASAS, TABE, COMPASS, ASSET, and ACCUPLACER - in terms of their uses and
how they well they align with postsecondary education entry
requirements. Special attention is given to the GED. The authors
identify several problems and challenges as well as recommendations to
resolve them.

You might also want to peruse the transitions sections at the CAAL and
NCSALL sites:

Transitions: Linkages between Adult Education and Community Colleges
Multiple resources from CAAL (Council for Advancement of Adult Literacy)
http://www.caalusa.org/publications.html#trans

Transitions to Post-Secondary Education
Multiple resources from NCSALL (National Center for the Study of Adult
Learning and Literacy)
http://www.ncsall.net/index.php?id=106

I'm still looking around some to see if I can come up with any other
resources that would be of help to you. I would also love to know if
others on the List have resources to share on this topic.

Thanks,

Marie

Marie Cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator