[Assessment 1605] Re: Reply to Questions 1 and 2

Stephanie Moran

stephanie at durangoaec.org
Tue Feb 3 16:23:15 EST 2009

Cynthia, Colorado was one of 4 states to earn an OVAE grant specifically to
help transition GED grads into college successfully, with a target age of
18-24. We take Ss outside that age range, but only those who make gains in
the age range are counted for the purposes of this grant. The grant charges
us with helping Ss make gains in their remedial classes, and if they score
in one of the lower of the three courses, to zoom past the next level, the
idea being to save them time, money, and frustration. Of course, if you are
familiar with the Accuplacer, then you know that this is a hard road to hoe.
Our fall students made real strides as readers, writers thinkers, and
computers, but they did not all make vast leaps on the Accuplacer. The grant
also expects us to do a lot with career exploration and teach study skills.
I am having a terrific time with the Career Goal Exploration Project that
I've put together.

This is an 8-week intensive course taught M-R, the Eng/Rdg from 8:30--10:00
and math to 11:45. Ss attend study sessions in their weak subjects for 2
hours minimum every week. We have a "Navigator," not a teacher, who recruits
and functions to reduce non-academic barriers--someone that at least in
theory the students may bond with and go to when trouble of any sort arises.

As it happens, my colleague Nan and I both have extensive college teaching,
and we believe deeply in the need for education well beyond the GED for
people who want to live a reasonably decent life in terms of the usual
amenities, so we were a perfect fit. I don't think Ss would do as well in
the college course with a teacher who wasn't familiar with college
coursework, expectations, workload, etc.

Did this answer your question adequately? I am flying this week and trying
to keep up with these discussion replies!
Stephanie