[Assessment 1648] Re: Differences between ABE/GED and ESOL needs

Marie Cora

marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Wed Feb 4 09:44:46 EST 2009

Hi Kathy and everyone,

You have raised a point that Wendy Quinones noted to me when we were
initially organizing this discussion - she also is careful to pay
attention to the differences between these two groups.

If you look in the Introduction in the Announcement
(http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/discussions/assessment/09transitions.html)
Wendy noted the following two quotes:

'Native speakers tended to have relatively stronger "meaning-based
skills" as compared to "print-based skills," while non-native speakers
exhibited the opposite pattern. Chall (1991) reported similar findings.'

'Many second-language speakers in ABE classes had surprisingly low
levels of oral vocabulary in English (GE 2 to GE 4), despite their
fluent levels of conversational English. Similarly low levels of oral
vocabulary occurred among some inner-city young adults who were native
speakers.'

[Strucker, John. (May 1997). What Silent Reading Tests Alone Can't Tell
You: Two Case Studies in Adult Reading Differences; see announcement]

What are your thoughts on this? What resources do you use to identify
these differences? What techniques, activities, strategies do you use
to work with these different groups? Do you have folks from these two
groups in the same class or separate? What do we need to better
identify the different needs of these two groups whose goal is the same:
to advance to a higher learning program or to work?

Thanks!

Marie

Marie Cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator