[HealthLiteracy 2162] Re: Health Literacy Curriculum

Zorn, Marcia (NIH/NLM) [E]

zornm at mail.nlm.nih.gov
Fri Jul 18 10:20:53 EDT 2008

A very quick answer to Priscilla Grace Witte’s question concerning why fewer “health literacy” articles are in the ERIC database compared to the number in MEDLINE: The ERIC database indexes only 600 journals. By comparison, 5,246 journals are currently indexed for MEDLINE (as of January 2008).

But I wonder what kind of ERIC search only got “a handful” of articles about health literacy. I just did one (I searched for Health AND literacy in the Keyword field) and got a total of 1864 items. When I browsed the titles and abstracts of the first 50 for the phrase “health literacy”, I found that many use the phrase, especially the newer ones.

Some citations don’t have the phrase per se, but when I read the abstract (and descriptors), they are still highly relevant to the concept. And some of these articles are not in MEDLINE. For example, “ Numeracy, Ratio Bias, and Denominator Neglect in Judgments of Risk and Probability (EJ786722) by Reyna, Valerie F.; Brainerd, Charles J. Source: Learning and Individual Differences, v18 n1 p89-107 2008. Abstract:

"Numeracy," so-called on analogy with literacy, is essential for making health and other social judgments in everyday life [Reyna, V. F., & Brainerd, C. J. (in press) The importance of mathematics in health and human judgment: Numeracy, risk communication, and medical decision making. "Learning and Individual Differences."]. Recent research on numeracy in health decision making has shown that many adults fail to solve simple ratio and decimal problems, concepts that are prerequisites for understanding health-relevant risk communications….

So, especially since both ERIC and MEDLINE are free, I encourage researchers to always search both.

I hope this is helpful.

Marcia Zorn, M.A., M.L.S.

Reference Librarian, National Library of Medicine