[HealthLiteracy 2554] Re: WednesdayQuestion: Lookingfor CompellingHealth Literacy Facts

Janet Sorensen

Jsorensen at afmc.org
Thu Dec 4 11:00:15 EST 2008

I'd like to forward this, as well as Ms. Rudd's last comment, to our
clinical quality improvement staff here at AFMC.

I've said this before, and may have irritated some folks, but I'm saying
it again.

Our health care system has a lot going for it, and a lot of room for
improvement. It needs to be more user-friendly. Fewer forms to fill out,
more plain language on paper and in person, better communication
internally and between providers and health care settings. Maybe some of
these things don't fall under "health literacy." I'm still trying to
wrap my little brain around the full definition. But it is all
communication.

We need to listen to the people who have to use our health care system.
They often know better than professionals what needs to be changed. But
for so long, the focus of health care communication has been
professionals teaching patients. Instead of just teaching patients how
to "navigate the system," we also need to learn from patients and the
public, and change the system. It isn't going to change on its own. It
will take pressure from many different directions.

Janet Sorensen, Writer
Arkansas Foundation for Medical Care