[HealthLiteracy 2531] Re: Treatment refusal and verbal abilities

Pilisuk, Tammy (CDPH-CID-DCDC-IMM)

Tammy.Pilisuk at cdph.ca.gov
Mon Dec 1 20:01:32 EST 2008

Lisa,

Thanks for responding! And I actually have a copy of the "What to
Expect" guide on my desk. It's nicely done. But one minor unfortunate
aspect is that it bears the GSK logo on the back. Suspicious parents may
dismiss information they feel is tied to the pharmaceutical industry.

My constant quandary is how to balance science and emotional impact. The
audience tends to be highly educated, but the issues are complex and not
everyone worries about the same thing. Some worry about thimerosal, some
about government intrusion, some about the medical establishment, some
that vaccine-preventable diseases aren't really that dangerous. We're
trying to approach the issue at different levels. But I'd welcome any
feedback from this group about how to use the psychology to get at what
influences parents' decision-making.

We've recently completed some fact sheets in cooperation with the
California Immunization Coalition. If you or others would like to check
them out, they're online on the coalitions' homepage at:
www.immunizeca.org <http://www.immunizeca.org/>

Tammy