[HealthLiteracy 2514] Re: Evidence-based? ... Literacy benefits?

Susan Auger

sauger at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 25 19:26:20 EST 2008

Hi Len and CeCi-
When we first created our photonovelas on prenatal care, we had that
possibility in mind (using photonovelas to teach and lead discussions with),
however, health professionals didn't seem interested or didn't know where to
start. The questions you posed are what prompted our exploration and
development of a method of teaching with stories. We wanted to make sure
that our method would work in practice so all the development work was done
in conditions as close to 'real-life' as possible.

We used a community-based participatory approach and Deming's
(plan-do-study-act) PDSA methodology. With everyone's input and experience,
we slowly refined and improved the process. It all started out quite
intuitively. We had the women in the groups, myself, 2 intutive health
educators, the photonovelas, and Rick Arnold's 'Spiral Model' concept of an
empowerment-based process. We did 7 series (4-8 classes/groups per series)
in a 4 phase period, with a convenience sample of Latinas (n=122). We varied
settings (rural/urban, community health center/health department),
facilitators (a total of 10 with different skill sets and backgrounds),
frequency of classes (e.g. weekly and biweekly), and types of 'extra'
activities too. Using a PDSA methodology, we evolved our process for
training facilitators also.

We boiled the process down to 6 steps which are outlined in an
easy-to-follow facilitator guide that goes with each photonovela. Each guide
contains specific suggestions on how to implement for that particular
photonovela. The guide also contains possible questions to ask, along with
space for the facilitator to record his/her own questions/ideas. The 6 steps
are:
1) Welcome, create a safe place
2) Review previous actions (e.g., practiced at home if this is a series)
3) Introduce new topic
4) Read and discuss story, foster critical thinking (as you suggest, we
recommend stopping at each page to 'chunk' the story)
5) Add depth, practice actions, review
6) Set stage- for next week or next steps - how will use or practice info,
etc.?

It's simple, flexible and provides enough structure so that even educators
who have no training in participatory approaches can facilitate groups
effectively. (If they make the mental switch to a faciliator mindset. As I
mentioned, if they don't get that, even if they follow the steps, their
energy, tone of voice, and nonverbals can conflict and undermine the
process.) The details of our study can be found in:
Auger, S., DeCoster, M., & Colindres, M. (2008). Teach-With-Stories Method
for Prenatal Education: Using Photonovels and a Participatory Approach with
Latinos. In M. Dutta & H. Mohan (Eds.), Emerging perspectives in health
communication: Meaning, culture, and power (pp. 155-181). New York, NY:
Routledge.

As Julie pointed out in a recent post, although more common in education, a
participatory, empowerment-based approach is a distinct skill set that is
not the norm in health education (that I am aware of). I would be very
curious to know how many schools of public health, nursing, medicine, etc,
actually offer this type of training. For instance, I know of only one
course offering at UNC in Chapel Hill (it's offered across discplines) that
is dedicated to teaching these types of approaches and skills. Many of my
friends and collegues who do use these types of approaches have often
developed and refined their skills and training through work or informal
educational opportunties (e.g. international work, workshops), not through
traditional academic programs. Given our current healthcare challenges and
the movement towards a patient-centered model of care, I agree with Julie,
this is a critical gap.

Since it is Thanksgiving, let me say thank you for all your work in this
area! I so appreciate the clarity and practical guidelines you have provided
in your book, Teaching Patients with Low Literacy Skills. I can only imagine
how many lives you have touched through all of us putting them into
practice.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Susan

_____