[HealthLiteracy 2352] Re: Improved healthfinder.gov Makes Prevention Information Quicker and Easier to Use

Hilfiker, Sandra W. (HHS/OPHS)

SandraW.Hilfiker at hhs.gov
Wed Oct 1 13:47:35 EDT 2008

We completed 7 studies as part of the development of the new healthfinder.gov site and the Quick Guide to Healthy Living prevention content. We continue to do more formative research to inform the writing of new content (new content for parents and for people who are managing chronic diseases). Each study had a little different focus and different demographic make-up. We wanted to have input from a diverse audience, but also wanted to ensure that we heard from a large number of users who may struggle with health literacy. As many of you know, it is very difficult to recruit this population, so our definitions and strategies for recruitment evolved over time.

Below is a quick breakdown of each study with a description of the participants. I am happy to share more detailed information if anyone is interested.

Study #1: Mental Models Research; N = 35

In-depth interviews with English-speaking adults 18-65 years of age with limited health literacy. Low health literacy was defined as having an 8th to 12th grade education, or a score of below 61 (less than an 8th grade reading level) on the Rapid Estimate of Adult Literacy in Medicine (REALM) evaluation tool, as well as having low knowledge in at least one of the eight prevention topics being studied.

Study #2: Structured Interviews; N = 200

Participants between ages of 18-65 who had used the Internet to search for health information in the past year. Very diverse sample with respect to racial ethnic background, education, and income. Almost half of the participants (82) had an annual household income of less than $40,000

Study #3: Card Sort; N = 81

Again a diverse sample with respect to age, income, education, and Internet experience. 24 participants had less than high school education, 25 participants had an annual household income under $40,000 annual income, 11 participants had less than 1 year internet experience.

Study #4: Prevention Prototype Evaluation; N=300

Tested with a diverse, nationwide sample of 260 people remotely and 40 people with limited health literacy in-person. In this study we operationalized limited health literacy as: people with a high school education or less, who had an annual household income of less than $40,000; and who had not searched for health information on the Internet in the past year.

Study #5: Usability Testing; N = 40

Adult women recruited from a community health center system in Baltimore. Most participants in this study were uninsured; had an annual household income of less than $40,000; had less than 2 years of college; and were not regular Internet users.

Study #6: Usability Testing; N = 13

Adult women recruited from a community health center system in Baltimore. Most participants in this study were uninsured; had an annual household income of less than $40,000; had less than 2 years of college; and were not regular Internet users.

Study # 7; Usability Testing; N = 8

Adults recruited in Knoxville, TN; half the participants were not regular Internet users, had only a high school education and had an annual household income of less than $40,000.

Sandra Williams Hilfiker
Health Communication Advisor
Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
Office of Public Health and Science, Office of the Secretary
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
1101 Wooton Parkway, LL 100
Rockville, MD 20850
240-453-8268
sandraw.hilfiker at hhs.gov