[HealthLiteracy 2180] Re: Health Literacy Conference and other training opps

Julie McKinney

julie_mcKinney at worlded.org
Thu Jul 24 13:15:36 EDT 2008

Hi Matt,

Here are some other ideas for informal and self-paced training for your
new HL staff:

1. Have them join this list, of course, and look through the archives.
The archives contain a wealth of information, resources and insights
from professionals from a variety of disciplines all over the country
(and beyond). They can subscribe and search the archives at this link:

2. Here are two online courses which are free and could give them a
valuable overview:

Health Literacy: New Field, New Opportunities
http://healthliteracy.worlded.org/docs/tutorial/SWF/flashcheck/main.htm

Unified Health Communication 101: Addressing Health Literacy, Cultural
Competency, and Limited English Proficiency
http://www.hrsa.gov/healthliteracy/training.htm
(This course is for providers, but may be helpful for someone in this
position as well!)

3. The Adult Literacy Education Wiki (ALE Wiki) has a health page which
has a good listing of resources (research, books, websites), promising
practices, and discussions from the Health Literacy List. It is a good
starting point for getting aquainted with the info out there. You can
find it at:

http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Health_Literacy

NOTE TO EVERYONE: This Wiki page does need updating. Anyone should feel
free to add information to this page, including the conferences and
workshops you are all recommending!

Good luck,
Julie

Julie McKinney
Health Literacy List Moderator
World Education
jmckinney at worlded.org

>>> Matt Gayer <mcggayer at sbcglobal.net> 07/24/08 9:44 AM >>>

Hello,
I was hoping someone could give me some information on any health
literacy conferences? My organization will be hiring a new health
literacy staff member, and we would like to provide a training
opportunity for the position. I work out of a county near St. Louis,
Missouri, so if there are any conferences in the Midwest that would be
great. Really though, any health literacy conference would be fine,but
preferably have a date of early next year. Thanks for your help.

Thank you,
Matt

Matt Gayer
Community Health Intern