[HealthLiteracy 2119] Baby Basics in Cleveland Ohio

Thomas, Teleange

TThomas at city.cleveland.oh.us
Wed Jul 2 16:05:15 EDT 2008

MomsFirst a program of the Cleveland Department of Public Health in
Cleveland Ohio has had the pleasure of implementing Baby Basics as a pilot
project over the past 6-months. Our program, formerly known as Healthy
Family, Healthy Start serves high risk pregnant women and teens from
pregnancy until the baby reaches age 1. The goal of our program is to reduce
the disparities in infant mortality in Cleveland Ohio.

The infusion of Baby Basics into our program has been a great enhancement.
Over the past 6-months, a portion of our staff and some community partners
have been trained in the Baby Basics materials and MomsClub curriculum. Our
staff has continuously commented on how the Baby Basics materials are
beautiful, user friendly and a true enhancement to the education we provide
during our home visits. They can readily see how the program will increase
our moms chances for a healthy pregnancy and get them excited about
learning.

Working with the What to Expect Foundation has been a treat as well. The
staff has been readily available to answer our questions, provide technical
support and ensure that we have a successful implementation. Their
dedication to moms, healthy pregnancies and the reduction of infant
mortality is unmatched!

If you have not already visited the web-site and been debriefed on Baby
Basics, I strongly suggest that you take a few minutes to do so
(www.whattoexpect.org <http://www.whattoexpect.org/> ). The program is great
and is an excellent fit for healthy start model programs, general home
visiting programs and community-based clinics.

We look forward to expanding the program into all of our sites and providing
these great materials and education to all of our participants!

Teleange Thomas

Deput y Project Director

Cleveland Department of Public Health

MomsFirst Program

1925 St. Clair Avenue NE | Cleveland, Ohio 44114

(office) 216-664-3499 | (fax) 216-664-2501

tthomas at city.cleveland.oh.us <mailto:tthomas at city.cleveland.oh.us> |
www.clevelandhealth.org <http://www.clevelandhealth.org/>

A helping hand for your pregnancy... and your baby.