[HealthLiteracy 1959] Re: Health Literacy Interventions

Eileen Hanlon

ehanlon at aed.org
Fri Apr 25 10:25:05 EDT 2008

Hi Monica. Havard's National Center for the Study of Adult Learning &
Literacy developed guides for integrating health literacy into adult
literacy and other programs (like ESL). They have been extensively
tested and evaluated. You can look at or order the guides at:

http://www.ncsall.net/?id=25#train

Eileen Hanlon
Academy for Educational Development

>>> <MSkewes at ria.buffalo.edu> 4/24/2008 4:57 PM >>>

Hello all,

In reading the literature on literacy and health, I have noticed that
interventions seem to be mostly provider-focused. Meaning, there is a
lot of research on strategies for reaching clients with low literacy
skills and communicating differently with these people. Does anyone
know of interventions aimed at improving health literacy skills among
patients themselves? Please let me know (back-channel at
mskewes at ria.buffalo.edu) if you run across or know of any
interventions designed to improve health literacy in clients, instead of
just improving the way health professionals communicate with
patients/clients who have inadequate health literacy skills (not to say
that's not important too!).

Thanks,
Monica

Monica C. Skewes, Ph.D.