[HealthLiteracy 1848] Re: Wed. Question: referring patients to literacyprograms

Sarah Beaman-Jones

sbeaman at webster.edu
Thu Mar 13 16:52:01 EDT 2008

Many years ago, I was a parent educator with Parents As Teachers. LIFT,
Missouri's literacy resource center, hired several of the parent educators
to go into health clinics and WIC offices. We provided educational
activities for the children in the waiting rooms and then spoke with the
parents about the family literacy and adult education programs available to
them in their area. I don't know how many referrals resulted from these
visits, but we sure changed the atmosphere in the waiting rooms to a more
positive and friendly one.

Sarah Beaman-Jones
Literacy Program Director

LIFT-Missouri