[HealthLiteracy 1821] Re: pill card

William Smith

BSMITH at aed.org
Mon Mar 3 13:48:21 EST 2008

This has been a fascinating and very useful discussion. I wanted to
mention our experience in dealing with non-literate population in
developing countries. As you might imagine there is a plethora of
experience and formative research coming out of more than 40 years of
practice in the field.

1. Pictures are just as abstract as letters - i.e., hieroglyphics.
People must be taught to recognize their meaning. This is why
pretesting of specific drawings is so critical. People can learn simple
pictures easier than written language, but we found there is no
universal symbol language that speaks intuitively to everyone.

2. While developing pictorial packet instruction to teach mixing a
sugar and salt solution for infants, mothers did not even recognize that
the pictures were instructions. They thought they were decoration. The
solution was a series of radio broadcast that taught mothers to
recognize and decipher the pictures.

3. Finally, people like to talk to other people. They don't like to
read instructions. We spend so much time on "reading" and "printing"
because somehow we think that people should read and that printed
materials are so easy to disseminate. But we know from study after study
that only a small fraction of people read everything. The joke about
men reading instructions as a last resort grows out of a great truth.
Een highly literate people often do not read when they can have someone
tell them. And the populations we care about the most want to be talked
to.

Talking is the new frontier of literacy - using the new technologies to
provoke conversation, question and answers to replace our default
dependence on direct mail, pamphlets, and brochures. Why can't we give
people what they want (someone to talk to) instead of spending so much
time and agony finding visual symbols some don;t understand and others
don;t want to bother reading?

Wm. Smith
Executive Vice President
Academy for Educational Development
1825 Connecticut Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20009

Organize policy until self-interest
does what justice requires.
Phone: 202-884-8750
Fax: 202-884-8752
e-mail: bsmith at aed.org

>>> "Brach, Cindy (AHRQ)" <Cindy.Brach at ahrq.hhs.gov> 3/3/2008 11:29 AM

Thanks for mentioning Judy's work, Sue.

If you want to read a short summary of the article that appeared in
AHRQ's "Research Activities" go to
http://www.ahrq.gov/research/jun05/0605RA40.htm and scroll down to
Shea.

_____