[HealthLiteracy 1809] Re: pill card

Ros Dowse

r.dowse at ru.ac.za
Fri Feb 29 02:03:28 EST 2008

Hi All

Thanks for the original link to the pill card - it stimulated some great
research ideas for our pharmacy students. It's been good to see the level of
interest in using visuals, as their practical application and use is a
highly contentious issue because of their potential for misinterpretation.

We have been investigating images and pictograms communicating medicine
instructions for a few years and our first exercise in our research program
was to test the USP pictograms and develop our own modifications for a low
literate South African population. The results have been (and continue to
be) incredibly interesting, surprising, in some cases unbelievable, but what
has always heartened us is the reaction of the people with whom we have
worked. Almost 100% of our 100s of participants/patients over the years have
welcomed this form of communication, and the preference for text with
pictograms has always far exceeded preference for text alone. As we have
serious literacy problems in South Africa, many of our participants had
extremely low visual literacy skills and many had only very basic schooling.

I include some of our publications below:

Dowse, R. and Ehlers, M. (2001) The evaluation of pharmaceutical pictograms
in a low-literate South African population. Patient Education and
Counseling, 45 (2). pp. 87-99. ISSN 0738-3991
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0738-3991(00)00197-X

Dowse, R. and Ehlers, M. (2004) Pictograms for conveying medicine
instructions: comprehension in various South African language groups. South
African Journal of Science, 100 (11 & 12). pp. 687-693. ISSN 0038-2353
http://eprints.ru.ac.za/137/

Mansoor, L.E. and Dowse, R. (2004) Design and evaluation of a new
pharmaceutical pictogram sequence to convey medicine usage. Ergonomics SA,
16 (2). pp. 29-41. ISSN 1 http://eprints.ru.ac.za/647/010-2728

Dowse, R. and Ehlers, M. (2005) Medicine labels incorporating pictograms: do
they influence understanding and adherence? Patient Education and
Counseling, 58 (1). pp. 63-70. ISSN 0738-3991
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2004.06.012

Mansoor, L.E. and Dowse, R. (2006) Medicines information and adherence in
HIV/AIDS patients. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, 31 (1).
pp. 7-15. ISSN 0269-4727 http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2710.2006.00696.x

Regards
Ros

Ros Dowse