[HealthLiteracy 1795] Re: pill card

Trenter, Marcia L

marcia.trenter at fda.hhs.gov
Wed Feb 27 18:10:59 EST 2008

I agree with Ms. Anson. Considering culture/understanding ethnicity will
help us understand others' interpretations of graphics. We live in a
multi-cultural society. We need to accept that "one size does not fit
all"; one presentation will rarely be interpreted universally. Thus,
strategic targeting of visuals, cultural awareness, focus testing, and
hopefully teach-back orientation. Here's a graphic challenge for all.

What graphic(s) would depict the following.

3x daily without food.

Graphics for: Morning
Mid-afternoon
Bedtime

3x daily with food.

Graphics for: Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner

We used a rising sun with a rooster to depict "morning" and several
focus participants thought it meant, "breakfast with chicken".

I will be very interested to hear your response and grateful.

Thanks,
Marcia

___________________
Marcia L. Trenter
Special Assistant to the Office Director
Office of Training and Communications
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Rm 2436, Bldg. 51