[HealthLiteracy 1747] Re: health literacy in the schools?

Steinbacher Mikal

Mikal.Steinbacher at lwtc.edu
Tue Feb 5 10:37:22 EST 2008

I teach ESL at two community colleges and include health topics each quarter. We use the StandOut series published by Thomson/Heinle at both colleges, and each level has a unit on health at the appropriate English skill level. I have an RN come to class and talk about how to get the most out of visits to the doctor, the importance of having a doctor before you need one, and how to ask the doctor questions. She also provides them a list of free/low cost medical and dental resources in the area. During her presentation she fields any questions students might have. She works in an out reach program provided by one of the local hospitals and has an office on one of the campuses, where immunizations, school athletic physicals, and other services are available to students, their families and other members of the community.

I also have a MEDIC II contact, part of the fire department training group, who teaches CPR to my classes. Students are certified in CPR, which is a bonus for their credentials in the workplace and definitely at home and in the community.

These ESL classes are for adults, but I'm sure they share what they learn with their friends and families.
I have a friend who teaches ESL at a local school district. I'll ask her if health is in their curriculum.

Mikal Steinbacher
Instructor, ABE/ESL/English
Lake Washington Technical College