[HealthLiteracy 1680] Re: Wednesday Question: Health Literacy and Marketing

Bertha Mo

bertiemo at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 09:55:42 EST 2008

When I moved to Canada from the US about 16 years ago, Shoppers Drug Market was a very small local chain drug store which also sold sundries and tobacco products. People did protest the store because they sold the tobacco products.

Fastforward to today. With someone's help Shoppers Drug Market has become the anchor store in many communities...still selling tobacco products and selling soft drinks at a cheaper price than that of milk.

As long as consumers buy; stores will go along....

One success story is the protest that violence prevention advocates launched against children's T-shirts that objectified girls and women and promoted violence. As far as I know that was launched totally on email.

Bertie Mo, Ph.D., MPH

Bertie Mo, Ph.D., MPH

"Ann Rathbun, Ph.D." <a.rathbun at morehead-st.edu> wrote:
As pharmacies move more toward the 'big box' model, I am constantly
amazed at the paradoxes that are present in the stores. Stores are
selling health promoting medications, disease preventing medications,
and other life saving drugs. At the same time, big box stores sell
cigarettes and alcoholic beverages, etc....things that may kill us.
Why are cigarettes sold under the same roof where the pills, patches
and gums that help us quit are also sold? Mark is right...profit
driven, not health promoting/prevention driven. Really confusing to
consumers, too, I think.

Ann

Quoting MarkH38514 at aol.com:

> In late 1998, Rite Aid stock was about $50 per share; now it's at less than

> $2. I have family members who owned stock in the company. Rite Aid

> has really

> struggled, in large part because of some financial malfeasance by previous

> executives; a former CEO got 10 years in prison.

> It's fair to assume that having patients bring in all their prescriptions is

> a way for Rite Aid to try to get them to shift their prescriptions from

> their current pharmacy to Rite Aid. In one way that may not be a

> bad idea, since

> pharmacists who are aware of all the drugs a patient is taking may be more

> likely to pick up on potentially serious drug interactions. For

> those patients

> who get their prescriptions filled at different pharmacies, keeping track of

> drug interactions is almost impossible.

> But that's probably not as important as increasing their prescription drug

> sales, or even getting consumers into the store in hopes they'll

> buy something

> on their way to or from the pharmacy in the back of the store. That's the

> reason pharmacies are in the back of the store to begin with.

> It's all about marketing and money and getting the stock price up.

> Mark Hochhauser

> Mark Hochhauser, Ph.D.

> Readability Consultant

> 3344 Scott Avenue North