[HealthLiteracy 2579] Re: WednesdayQuestion: Lookingfor CompellingHealth Literacy Facts

Clifford Coleman

colemanc at ohsu.edu
Fri Dec 19 17:07:09 EST 2008

Great discussion!

A two-part definition, such as this, really helps keep the related but (as I see them) distinct skills of patients and health professionals separate. This is useful for a number of reasons:

First, if we are ever going to be able to operationalize health literacy in a meaningfully measurable way, keeping the patient and provider domains separate will be helpful. For example, to design a tool to measure what HL really is (as opposed to current tools, which provide proxy measures), one will want to apply the tool either to patients or providers, but likely not both simultaneously. Using a definition which entangles patients and providers will make the design of such a tool more difficult, and ultimately less useful in many settings.

Second, applying the term "literacy" to the skills and activities of health care professionals is fraught with problems, as I'm sure any linguists on the list will agree.

I would argue that patients can have "health literacy", but that the corollary set of skills possessed by health care professionals is better described as "clear communication".

The NYC Mayor's office definition below could be nicely modified to state that:

"Health literacy is the ability of individuals to read, understand, and act
upon health-related information. Health literacy is INTIMATELY LINKED to the
capacity of professionals and institutions to communicate effectively so
that community members can make informed decisions and take appropriate
actions to protect and promote their health."

The down-side to such a two-part definition is that some people may choose to omit the second part, thus diminishing the emphasis on the role of the health professional.

Keep up the great work!

Cliff
Cliff Coleman, MD, MPH
Assistant Professor
Department of Family Medicine
Oregon Health & Science University
Richmond Family Health Center
3930 SE Division St
Portland, OR 97202

I'd like to mention that health literacy as defined by the NYC Mayor's
Office (one of my favorite definitions) is as follows:

Health literacy is the ability of individuals to read, understand, and act
upon health-related information. Health literacy also refers to the