[HealthLiteracy 2283] Re: (no subject)

IHABRAMSON at aol.com

Thu Sep 4 17:36:42 EDT 2008

Hello Everyone.

We have all seen some fine materials developed for clinicians dealing with
possibly low literate patients. What ( or even how) can we advise an adult
illiterate needing to visit a medical facility? Remember - we cannot tell who
is who by looking and chances are, if the person has underdeveloped
reading/arithmetical skill, he or she has probably not told anyone. Thus, there would
be no one to accompany that adult. But such men and women still seek the
same healthcare as everyone else does.

Does anyone have some shamefree advice we can give to the general public and
thus, include the illiterate people in this safety net?

Thank you for your thoughts and time.
Ilene
_ihabramson at aol.com_ (mailto:ihabramson at aol.com)

In a message dated 9/4/2008 12:30:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,