[HealthLiteracy 1916] Re: The Joint Commission's Health LiteracyCampaign

Lendoak at aol.com

Tue Apr 15 15:13:56 EDT 2008

Dear Julie and other commenters,

A few good words for the JC health literacy "Speak Up" brochure.

- Congratulations to the JC for making this initiative.

- Text is in conversational style, with lots of personal "you" context.

- Line lengths are roughly 50 characters and spaces, which according to the
research, is near the optimum for easy reading. (perhaps the package is a
4-fold brochure)

- Readability level is quite low; a sample checks out between 4th and 5th
grade reading level using the Fry chart.

- The content deals with the real communication problems that patients
commonly face.

Could it be more suitable? Yes, vastly so! Here are some thoughts (based
on reviewing over 2,000 health care instructions):

1. Use pictures to show the key ideas and behaviors. Some research shows as
much as a 500% improvement in understanding AND compliance when appropriate
pictures accompany text. For example, show a picture of a client asking
questions and a smiling doctor or nurse; to reduce errors in med taking, show
sample pill caddies (pill boxes) and tell how to use them. With the benefits
of using pictures so great, how can anyone in good conscience not use them?

2. Text is too dense - cut wording and use more bullets. Rationale: Some
paragraphs contain as many as a half dozen pieces of info. Those are too many
items for most people to recall.

3. This JC piece isn't the first instruction on communication - consider
referencing some others such as "Ask me 3".

4. On cover sheet, poor contrast between print and background color. Improve
the contrast to make it easier to read.

We hope the JC will consider revising this piece.

best wishes,

Len and Ceci Doak

In a message dated 4/15/2008 7:55:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,