[HealthLiteracy 2202] Re: Web Access

Zorn, Marcia (NIH/NLM) [E]

zornm at mail.nlm.nih.gov
Wed Jul 30 15:59:08 EDT 2008

The following do not exactly address the question about
resources/location for information demonstrating how many persons with
low health literacy and/or low literacy skills have Internet access; but
some of these reports update the good resources Doug sent.

Nielsen released on July 8, 2008 the Nielsen "Three Screen Report,
Television, Internet and Mobile Usage in the U.S." (dated May 2008)
which updates the 2004 numbers
http://www.nielsen.com/pdf/3_Screen_Report_May08_FINAL.pdf, - It's the
first comparable U.S. figures showing video and TV usage across the
'three screens' - Television, Internet and Mobile devices.

A press release from Nielsen about it is at
http://www.nielsen.com/media/2008/pr_080708.html . It states that "Two
hundred twenty million Americans have Internet access at home and/or
work and 73%, or 162 million went online in May...
It highlights that "watching video on the Internet is no longer a
novelty; 119 million unique viewers viewed 7.5 billion video streams in
May 2008. In addition as of Q1 2008, 91 million Americans (36% of all
mobile phone subscribers in the U.S.) owned a video-capable phone. "

Another press release with stats is at
http://www.nielsenmedia.com/nc/portal/site/Public/menuitem.55dc65b4a7d5a
dff3f65936147a062a0/?vgnextoid=fe63c9769fcfa110VgnVCM100000ac0a260aRCRD
Tiny url = http://tinyurl.com/6j269o

Newer NTIA report stats/chart is at
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/reports/2008/Table_HouseholdInternet2007.pdf

Also, "New Study Shows Internet Users 50+ Are Rapidly Closing the
Digital Divide with Booming Online Activity
News release: 42% of users 50+ check the Internet for news daily or
several times a day, compared to 18% of users under 20.
http://www.aarp.org/research/press-center/presscurrentnews/new_study_rel
eased_by_the_center_for_the_digital_f.html
The complete study from The Center for the Digital Future and AARP is
available upon request
Highlights of the report are available here:
http://www.digitalcenter.org/pdf/2008-Digital-Future-Report-Final-Releas
e.pdf
The full report is available for purchase
http://store.digitalcenter.org

And to compare U.S. usage to other countries: "Digital World: State Of
The Internet" Report Highlights Growth in Emerging Internet Markets (by
comScore). U.S. Currently Accounts for 21 Percent of Worldwide Internet
Users, Down from 66 Percent in 1996
http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=2115
For those interested in the Social Media "movement", see Power to the
people, Social Media Tracker, Wave 3.0, March 2008 - Universal McCanns
Global Research Into Impact of Social Media project to measure consumer
usage, attitudes & interests in adopting social media platforms (stated
to be the largest exploration of its kind) "to provide the facts behind
the hype..."
http://www.universalmccann.com/Assets/wave_3_20080403093750.pdf

***Specifically about Literacy and Internet access:

There's a 2005 eGov report titled Improving Access to the Internet: A
report to the Congress...which discusses literacy (though not much) at
http://www.cio.gov/documents/icgi/report.pdf

And you might be interested in these Web Junction links: Equity of
Access: Igniting a Passion for Change
http://www.webjunction.org/do/DisplayContent?id=5507

I believe that if you search for statistics on the Digital Divide and
literacy, you'll find articles and LINKS that might interest you, like
from article: Congress Needs to Address the Digital Divide - 2005 - By
Mark Lloyd (October 6, 2005)
http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2005/10/b1097565.html

Definitely check with a local librarian about searching for statistics
for you.

Marcia Zorn, Reference Librarian
National Library of Medicine