[HealthLiteracy 2002] Re: Wednesday Question: Writing how we talk: better or worse?

Searing, Margaret

SearingM at co.clinton.ny.us
Fri May 16 08:10:49 EDT 2008

Alex brings up a point about formality/ informality of language which reminded me of Economic Class based work done on the register of language. I think this is written up in a book by Ruby K Payne called "A Framework for Understanding Poverty." Language, whether spoken or written, comes in five registers - Frozen ( think of the Lord's Prayer recited from the King James version); Formal ( the standard sentence syntax and word choice of work and school ( think standardized testing ); Consultative, another formal register which is not quite as direct as the formal; Casual ( think language between friends in conversation, where sentences are often incomplete or rambling, vocabulary limited to 400- 800 words, and a long-winded story-telling style is employed); and Intimate ( the language between lovers, twins, and those using language to sexually harass). One can comfortably move between only two registers along the register scale in the continuum of the same conversational situation. Class-wise, the ability to be flexible between these language registers is a Middle Class standard, not one of Poverty. Typically, those in the Poverty Class are most conversant in the casual and intimate registers, which when involved in an interaction with a physician about a health care issue creates quite a disadvantage (the casual style does not "get to the point" quickly but engages in story-telling around it, and the Intimate register is completely inappropriate). The reason I bring this Language register research up is two fold: to be aware of our own Class bias when developing and evaluating patient education resources, and (while in no way implying diminished Health Literacy is a reality limited to only one economic class, since it clearly is not) Class may well play a largely unacknowledged role in judgemental attitudes towards materials written in the limited vocabulary and story-telling form of the casual register.

Margaret Searing RN,BS
Inservice Education
Clinton County Health Department
133 Margaret St.