[HealthLiteracy 2574] Photonovela.com

Laura Nimmon

nimmon at interchange.ubc.ca
Sun Dec 14 15:09:34 EST 2008

Hi Susan, Julie, Andrew and Susan,

I have created a website www.photonovela.com where people can post their photonovels for free. After they upload, they can then just send the URL link to anyone (i.e. http://www.photonovela.com/display.php?id=37).

Photonovels are expensive to print and so I wanted to create a website where they could be shared easily. As noted before, during our photonovel discussion, is essential to engage learners in the participatory process in order for them to be able to name their experience in the world. This is because it is the act of naming that helps to establish the structure of this world, and this occurs the more the more widely it is recognized (Bourdieu, 1991).

It is essential to share the realities of those which are often silenced, as widely and as globally as possible; this is the reason I have created the site. It seemed counterintuitive to me that after all the effort to codify one's subjective experience into a photonovel, it then sits on a book shelf where its only exposure is in that immediate context.

I hope photonovela.com gets used soon! Let me know how I can make it more user friendly or how to get the word out more. Please try it and let me know if you need any guidance. I am looking forward to seeing new photonovels on the site.

Laura
--
Laura Nimmon
Ph.D Student