[HealthLiteracy 2573] Re: Online Library of Photo novels?

Susan Centner

scentner at rollanet.org
Thu Dec 11 16:01:33 EST 2008

Dear Andrew,

I have been reading this list serv for a few months now but haven't felt
compelled to post until I saw Andrew's post today.

I just want to let you know about one aspect of our Health Literacy Missouri
initiative. Our group of librarians and researchers have been working on
putting together a resource inventory of all materials relating to health
literacy including those mentioned in your response below. We are working
diligently to locate, evaluate, catalog and make available complete holdings
linked to either the actual item or the closest library to request it from.
We even have a team which will be evaluating materials on a variety of
criteria such as evidence base, effectiveness and applicability.

2008 has been filled with planning sessions on exactly the most manageable
or "best way" to make these items available to everyone. We have finally put
our plan into action, our database is set up, and resource collection is
ongoing. We expect to have our front end web presence available in 2009. We
are fortunate enough to have support from the Missouri Foundation for Health
and expect that we will continue to have the team members and manpower for
this undertaking.

We would be pleased to work with you or to have individuals submit materials
directly to us.

Susan Centner, Chair - Librarian Expert Group
Resource Inventory Committee
Health Literacy Missouri

Susan Centner, Project Director
MAHEC Digital Library