[HealthLiteracy 2553] Re: Writing for the masses

Julie McKinney

julie_mcKinney at worlded.org
Thu Dec 4 10:37:35 EST 2008

I'm passing this on from Ceci and Len Doak...
Julie
***********************
Dear Ann Rathbun, Dec. 3, 2008

Re/ your question on writing for wide audiences...... May we offer a
few practical suggestions on a process that seems to work well:

For Easier Comprehension:

1) Start with an outline of the key content; consider a focus on
desired behaviors.

2) Select pictures that may be used to illustrate the key content and
behaviors. Research shows that simple line drawings are usually best -
even stick figures!

3) Write in a conversational style, with varying sentence lengths. One
approach to overcoming our tendency to write formally (and at high
readability levels) is to talk it out first. Talk extemporaneously into
a tape recorder about each key point; refer to the pictures. Then
transcribe and edit the text. Be sure to include captions that indicate
the purpose or what to look at in the pictures.

For Motivation:

- Make it appear easy to read. For the page layout, use wide margins
and short line lengths. Use at least 12 point font. Number the pages.

- Include testimonials. These verbatim quotes are almost always easy to
read. The fact that others have successfully done this will increase
the self efficacy of the readers.

- For prevention and other behavior changes, Consider an information
sequence based on the Health Belief Model. 1- Create the perception
that “You are at risk”, 2- But there is something you can do about it,
3- It won’t cost you a lot (time or money) to do it, 4- Here’s how you
will benefit (ex.: You’ll feel better and have a better chance to live
to see your grandchildren grow up)

Ann, this is our a “short list” of what we’ve found helpful to get the
“at your desk” writing job done so that it really works with patients
and the public. For the longer list, see the SAM model in Chapter 4 of
Teaching Patients With Low Literacy Skills, available free on-line. Be
sure to test your draft with a few members of your intended audience.

Best wishes,

Len and Ceci Doak
Patient Learning Assoc.

Julie McKinney
Health Literacy List Moderator
World Education
jmckinney at worlded.org

>>> "Ann Rathbun, Ph.D." <a.rathbun at morehead-st.edu> 11/29/08 2:18 PM

Hi all,

I am writing to get some practical advice/opinion on the issue of
writing for a wide audience. I am currently assisting someone who is
writing a manual for training community volunteers who will be helping
with health promotion for those living with Diabetes. (Sort of like
"promatores" or Community Health Workers). Her target audience is
those living in the Appalachian region of the U.S. Both of us
recognize that she may get volunteers who have high literacy skills.
My concern is this: some of the synthetic estimates I have calculated
show that literacy/health literacy rates in some parts of Appalachia
are extraordinarily low (significantly lower than reported in the
KY-SAAL for example).

My advice to the writer is to write at an 8th grade level and make it
LOOK easy to read.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ann

Ann Rathbun, Ph.D.