[HealthLiteracy 2480] Re: Experience using Photonovels

Julie Smithwick-Leone

smithwic at gwm.sc.edu
Wed Nov 19 09:49:51 EST 2008

In terms of preparation, once you are familiar with the content, very little is involved. You have to highlight the reading parts for those group members who will be reading roles, but other than that there's very little prep time. As for implementation, you need to allow yourself a period of time to read through the photonovel and discuss any issues or questions that arise, without being too rushed. As the facilitator, I tend to let the women lead the discussion without letting us get so far off track that we don't have time to make it through the whole story.

I haven't switched completely to the photonovel format, but rather use it in combination with other curricula and materials. My class series is composed of four classes, and I employ many different adult education methods. I typically use the photonovels in two of the four classes, and so far the women have responded quite well. I continue to use these two photonovels because of the discussion and input that they generate around topics that sometimes can be difficult to address.

We have also used the photonovels during one-on-one home visits with women, or in small group home visits, as a way to elicit their feelings on a topic and once again, help generate thoughtful discussion.

Julie

Julie Smithwick-Leone, LMSW
Program Director- PASOs Program
South Carolina Public Health Institute
2221 Devine Street, Suite 216
Columbia, SC 29208
(803) 777-5466 office
(803) 312-1723 cell

>>> "Susan Auger" <sauger at mindspring.com> 11/18/2008 11:18 AM >>>

Thanks for your post Julie!
I know that in clinic settings, whether it's hopsitals, health departments
or community health centers, time and staff resources are limited. How much
time in terms of preparation and implementation is involved with
facilitating a group using photonovels? Also,can you say a bit about what
prompted you to make a switch to using this type of approach and what keeps
you motivated to stay with it now that it's been a year and half?
Susan