[HealthLiteracy 2374] Re: Wednesday Question: Health Literacy Curricula for The Health Care Field

Susan Koch-Weser

susan.koch_weser at tufts.edu
Wed Oct 15 11:10:01 EDT 2008

David's question about health care-contextualized basic skills reminded
me of an excellent book I read about a literacy program for employees at
a hospital.

[Gowen SG. The politics of workplace literacy: a case study. New York,
N.Y.: Teachers College Press 1992.]

One of the issues raised was that the hospital was interested, in part,
in teaching the literacy skills in order to exert greater control over
their workers and limiting their own liability for needle sticks and the
like (as in now they can read the sign and it is their responsibility to
be careful not ours to better manage the environment). It is a very
interesting study. Of course, the skills are important as David writes
as contextualized workplace basic skills, but I personally do not think
they are part necessarily of health literacy as it has been defined.

Susan Koch-Weser
Assistant Professor
Department of Public Health and Family Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
136 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA 02111
617-636-4033