[HealthLiteracy 2300] Re: Health Literacy training for public healthprofessionals

Sue Stableford

SStableford at une.edu
Mon Sep 15 08:37:30 EDT 2008

Hello Theresa,

One of the training opportunities open to public health professionals is our annual Health Literacy Institute, offered in June and repeated in October each year. The Institute is an opportunity to learn skills to assess, plan, write, design, and audience-test plain language materials. Find the 2008 information here: www.HealthLiteracyInstitute.net

We also offer a health literacy course as part of our distance MPH program at the University of New England in Maine.

There are other opportunities that other members of this list can contribute.

Best wishes,
Sue Stableford

Sue Stableford, MPH, MSB, Director
Health Literacy Institute
Center for Health Policy, Planning & Research
University of New England
716 Stevens Ave.
Portland, Maine 04103
Tel: 207-221-4567
email: sstableford at une.edu
fax: 207-523-1914
www.HealthLiteracyInstitute.net
www.ClearLanguageGroup.com

>>> <tmbessette at comcast.net> 9/12/2008 10:18 AM >>>

Greetings all,

I am a second year MPH candidate at Southern CT State University who is researching the knowledge, attitudes and skills that pertain to health literacy among practicing public health professionals in the state of Connecticut. I have two questions that I would like to pose to this group:
1) Does anyone know of an instrument available that might be used to assess this information in this population? A review of the literature indicates that I may have to develop an instrument in which case I will most grateful for any input from members of this group.

2) Does anyone know of health literacy training programs directed towards public health professionals that are presently available?

Thank you,

Theresa Bessette
Second year MPH Candidate
Southern Connecticut State University