[HealthLiteracy 2127] Health Literacy Curriculum

Neal, Donna Vick

DN0913 at ecu.edu
Sun Jul 13 19:14:58 EDT 2008

To improve health outcomes we must find ways to overcome the challenge of low health literacy. A key to meeting this challenge is better trained healthcare providers. I have been an educator in a respiratory therapy program for 15 years. Two of the major units included in the curriculum are patient communication and patient education. However, there has been little focus on health literacy. I would like to develop a more comprehensive health literacy curriculum that can be used to supplement the content that is currently taught. Having said that, I am soliciting ideas for a health literacy curriculum. Any information would be helpful.

Donna Neal
Respiratory Therapist/Educator