[HealthLiteracy 2124] Re: information on photo-novellas

Susan Auger

sauger at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 11 11:04:39 EDT 2008

Hi Susan

Fotonovelas/photonovels can be created and used in a variety of ways to
accomplish a diverse set of aims.

You might interested in a book chapter we wrote on our use of photonovels
with Latinas to teach prenatal education. It was recently published in
'Emerging Perspectives in Health Communication: Meaning, Culture, and Power
' (Editors: Heather Zoller and Mohan Dutta). The book is now available at
Routledge and Amazon, along with other book sellers.

This method of teaching with stories using photonovels was recognized by the
Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for the Sociology of Health and Medicine,
University of Vienna as an international best practice model for
incorporating health literacy and health empowerment principles in prenatal
education.

In addition, as I mentioned previously on the listserv, the Center for
Healthcare Strategies included the use of photonovels with the
Teach-With-Stories (TWS) Method in their 2007 Toolkit for Strategies to
Reduce Health Disparities. In a national demonstration project at the
Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island, 90.5% of women in the TWS
intervention received optimal prenatal care compared to 65% of women in the
control group.

We are currently conducting an NIH study examining research to practice
issues involving teaching with photonovels, group education and lay
educators.

For further information about the Teach-with-Stories method and photonovels
you can view a short online video that we developed for the first phase of
the study (a series of interviews that have now been completed):

<http://www.playstream.com/theater.aspx?path=/twsstudy/TWSphotonovel&file=TW
S2d768K_Stream.mov&w=320&h=240>
http://www.playstream.com/theater.aspx?path=/twsstudy/TWSphotonovel&file=TWS
2d768K_Stream.mov&w=320&h=240

(Note: QuickTime Player is required to view this clip. If you do not have
this program, a QuickTime player plug-in can be downloaded at no charge. Or
if you have a problem opening the above link, try this alternate link:

<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4581841882626028800&hl=en>
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4581841882626028800&hl=en

If you have any questions or would like additional information,

you can reach me off-line. My contact info is below.

Hope this helpful.

Susan Auger

auger at augercommunications.com

(t) 919-361-1857