[HealthLiteracy 2067] Re: Universal Precautions Toolkit for Primary Care

David Pole

poledc at slu.edu
Tue Jun 10 09:39:27 EDT 2008

I would be very interested in what you come up with to put in a Universal
Precautions toolkit for Primary Care practices.

We have been using the tool developed by the Association of American Medical
Colleges (AAMC) to assess our curriculum around issues of cultural
competency knowledge, attitudes, and skills. The tool is called TACCT - Tool
for Assessing Cultural Competency Training and it is available on the AAMC
website. Perhaps the tool could be used to assess how practices are
creating and supporting a culture where these KAS are discussed, developed,
and incorporated into practice. The AAMC website also has the guidelines
for using and the bibliography that supports the TACCT Tool

If there were a comparable tool for addressing KAS for Health literacy, I
think it would be very helpful.

David Pole, MPH

Deputy Director, Division of Community Health Promotion

Deputy Director, AHEC Program Office

Department of Community and Family Medicine

Saint Louis University School of Medicine

(P) 314-977-8484 (F) 314-977-5268

poledc at slu.edu

SLU Community and Family Medicine ~ Innovations in Education, Research, and
Primary Care

_____